Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Clothes in My Closet

So.... just got done emailing with a friend about all of the 'skinny' clothes we have saved and can't wait to wear again. It brought up some interesting feelings for me...

I realized that my current closet holds about 80% clothes that are too small for me and only about 20% (perhaps even less) clothes that I actually wear and fit into right now. Is that healthy?!? I'm thinking not so much. Maybe it's motivating to want to fit into them, and to want to work towards that. But isn't it also sending a message to myself that I'm not good enough as I am right now?!? Isn't it saying that I'm not at my ideal weight and therefore don't deserve fun, beautiful, stylish clothes? I kind of think it is.

Now, that's not to say that I'm going to rush out and buy a whole new wardrobe. My wallet cannot afford that, and considering I plan to keep on losing weight, it just doesn't make sense. But I do think that maybe I need to put those clothes away until I'm ready to wear them, and maybe start buying one or two special pieces that fit me now and make me feel really good when I wear them. What could be better than loving myself as I am? Stacy and Clinton (What Not to Wear- love that show!) always talk about loving yourself as you are, and feeling beautiful so that you have the confidence to continue growing and changing. It makes sense to me and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing that right now. But it's a goal and part of my journey, for sure.

I am not particularly excited about going through my closet and realizing what little I have to wear, but I think it will be great to surround myself with things that I am able to wear now and that make me feel great. Here I go.... :)

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel! I'm changing sizes for a slightly different reason, but I had the exact same feeling when I cleaned all of the clothes this preggo chica will not be fitting into any time soon. I was left with one skirt, 3 pairs of pants, a bunch of tank tops that are questionable, and a whole lot of cardigans. Time to go shopping right? A girl has to feel good! Love ya hun!

    ReplyDelete